Thursday, July 23, 2009

Post-Orientation

As I sat inside the building located at 1104 S. Wabash St. - or what will be known to me as the 1104 Center for the next four years - I couldn't help but feel intimdated. The vice president of the college who had been working there for 25 years spoke to us with high expectations. He wanted us to become "young creatives", to take a grab at our major and squeeze the life out of it hoping to achieve a miracle. As I sat with hundreds of people, none of which I knew and who hadn't even started attending the school yet, I felt fear towards what I was expected to do. Simultaneously, I felt inspired. I absolutely could not wait to create a masterpiece.

And I still can't.

The school? Columbia College Chicago. A private art school located in the heart of the Loop, where downtown life thrives. It currently has 12,500 students, all with different ideas and goals for themselves. I've loved this city for so long but have always admired it from afar living in south eastern Wisconsin. Suddenly, I'd be living here for four years. I'd be picked out of my small town of 7,000 people and dropped right in the hustle and bustle with millions of people, no one whom I'd see more than once.

The major? Well, so far, I'm not sure. For now I've declared dance as my major, but I also want to look into photography, film, and audio arts and acoustics. I originally planned for photography as my major, but after rediscovering my love for dance these past few years, I wanted an excuse to dance all the time. Besides, I get to take an African dance class first semester. Who gets that opportunity often?

On August 29th, the day I move in, my life will be changed forever.

I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment